[Oberon] all in one git tree

Paul Reed paulreed at paddedcell.com
Thu Dec 31 12:35:40 CET 2020

On 2020-12-31 11:17, D EMARD wrote:
> ... if once it wants to exchange data over network, conversion of text
> plain ascii seems like a good idea.

Right, it's important to distinguish between interchange formats and
internal ones, especially since Project Oberon deliberately and
provocatively challenges the status quo (even now!), providing
corresponding, but not necessarily compatible, formats, protocols and
algorithms compared with prevailing systems. I often notice that Project
Oberon is criticised as if it should somehow be one of the latter type
of systems... :)

On the other hand, for convenience, sometimes external formats are
supported even if they don't quite fit with the philosophy. When
publishing the source code on the web, we use .Mod.txt because this is
Oberon text converted to ASCII text for the purposes of
interoperability. But in fact, if you use PCLink to transfer such an
ASCII file into the Oberon system verbatim, it will indeed compile, if
it has DOS (CRLF) line endings, because opening this kind of text in the
Oberon system is treated as a special case (and always has been).

However, it may be that when downloading the ASCII file onto a
Unix/Linux system it gets LF line endings, so then this compatibility
inside Oberon doesn't work. The world is complicated - Oberon is not.
;-)

HTH,
Paul