[Oberon] all in one git tree

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 13:06:06 CET 2020

On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 at 08:42, Jörg Straube <joerg.straube at iaeth.ch> wrote:

> Every other system I know is based on the following idea: boot in ASCII-mode and extend to some sort of graphics engine.

Really? Then I suggest you get out there and learn some more varied
operating systems, then! :-)

Classic MacOS has no text mode, no shell, no command line, no config
files, no text files visible anywhere in the base OS _whatsoever_.

AmigaOS boots in graphical mode from the firmware and has no text-mode
level to drop back down to, and different windows run in multiple
different resolutions, unlike any other OS I've seen.

BeOS and Haiku start in graphical mode and have no separate text-only
mode underneath. So does PalmOS, Psion EPOC16 and EPOC32 and its
descendant Symbian.

The split between a "base" text mode and a GUI on top is a peculiarity
of only 2 OS families: the MS Windows family and of UNIX.

> All texts (including source code) are documents with fonts, colors, and other meta data.

This is also true of Chuck Moore's ColorFORTH OS/programming language.

To different extents, it is also true of Scratch, LabVIEW and perhaps
100+ of other languages.

Here is a list but lost count after 30.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_programming_language#List_of_visual_languages

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com