[Oberon] [EXT] Re: File transfer;

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Sat Jan 2 20:32:07 CET 2021

>V4 and S3 are written in Oberon-2 (iso Oberon-07).
>As long as you use the Oberon-07 compiler, all Oberon-2 features
> (LOOP, EXIT, type-bound procedures...) will have to be „downconverted“ to Oberon-07.

Joerg:

Oberon-2 is commonly associated with type-bound inheritance. This is what comes to mind when I hear "Oberon-2". The features like LOOP are not the ones which set aside the Oberon-2 language. I would advocate reintroducing them, possibly with warnings. A compiler switch permitting certain extensions is a common technique in other languages. A backward compatibility switch would be very welcome.

I would not advocate these features if they need substantial changes to the compiler logic. On the other hand, in case they were eliminated to make the world a better place, then the effect was just the opposite. I would thus welcome reversing the damage, if doing so does not require a lot of effort.

Wojtek