[Oberon] [EXT] Re: Re (2): Porting S3 / V4 Oberon

Joerg joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Sun Jan 3 18:24:51 CET 2021

> One has to weigh the beauty of being right versus the damage of throwing away useful software.

If the SW is useful being run on the FPGA HW then one has still the possibility to „port“ the SW iso „throwing it away“.

While porting several Oberon-2 code to Oberon-07, I found (looking at EXIT, LOOP, RETURN): in most cases it is more or less straight forward, and only sometimes (sudden RETURNs in nested loops) a bit harder. I find the resulting code almost always much more readable.

Some of the porting techniques I used:
- break up in smaller functions
- introduce error or state variables
- Introduce routines for 16bit entities, if „old“ INTEGERs are really only 16bits.

br
Jörg