[Oberon] Java byte-code and Pascal P-Code (was: Text in V4.)

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Sun Jan 10 21:02:02 CET 2021

Java is a programming language, not an operating system. You may be thinking
of claims that the Java 'byte-code' was inspired by Pascal's P-Code machine
which was initially developed by Wirth's team at ETH for the portable
Pascal-P compiler:

https://homepages.cwi.nl/~steven/pascal/book/0intro.html

According to Wikipedia this was based on Wirth's earlier work with the Euler
compiler in 1965:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_(programming_language)

as mentioned here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-code_machine

Most of its fame occurred later with its use in Pascal systems on
microcomputers in the 1980's. e.g. the UCSD P-System and Apple Pascal.
Subsequently, modified versions appeared in the form of M-code for Modula-2:

https://www.cfbsoftware.com/modula2/

I believe an Oberon version, O-Code, was used in lectures at ETH in the
2000's.

Regards,
Chris Burrows
CFB Software