[Oberon] Oberon V4 on the Raspberry Pi?

Joerg joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Mon Jan 11 16:21:12 CET 2021

Liam
The LinzOberon system is typically called V4 and programmed in Oberon-2.
A2 (formerly known as Bluebottle) is something different, it's programmed in ActiveOberon.

br
Jörg

Am 11.01.21, 16:16 schrieb "Oberon im Auftrag von Liam Proven" <oberon-bounces at lists.inf.ethz.ch im Auftrag von lproven at gmail.com>:

    On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 at 16:04, Bernhard Treutwein <oberon at wildwein.de> wrote:

    > afaik, V4 never ran on other bare metal than Ceres, all other V4 versions
    > used the "OS on top of another OS" concept, which is now better called
    > emulation of an OS.

    Just for clarity:
    By "Oberon v4" we are talking about A2 (formerly AOS) with Bluebottle?

    As shown in the 4th screenshot here:
    http://ignorethecode.net/blog/2009/04/22/oberon/

    Is that right?

    If so, yes, it definitely runs on bare metal on x86.

    I have it installed and running natively from a primary disk partition
    on a Lenovo Thinkpad X200. It recognizes both CPU cores and most of
    the machine's 4GB of RAM, and supports TCP/IP networking over the
    built-in Ethernet. I think it also supported USB peripherals in my
    testing -- a mouse and a USB key were recognised and handled, if I
    recall correctly. It can see and mount the DOS partition on the
    machine (which contains IBM PC-DOS 7.1, the FAT32-capable version).

    It could not read the Haiku partition on the machine, but few other
    OSes can read BeFS.

    Installation was tricky, as although I could boot an ISO image under
    VirtualBox or VMware Player no problem, I could not write it to USB.

    So, I created a VirtualBox VM, attached the raw hard disk partition to
    it as a device local to the VM, booted the VM off ISO, formatted the
    partition and and installed to it.

    I use PowerQuest BootMagic as the boot manager on that machine, and I
    just addeded primary partition № 2 to the boot menu. This chain-loaded
    the A2 boot loader, and up it came, no problem.

    Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com