[Oberon] Oberon V4 on the Raspberry Pi?

Joerg joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Mon Jan 11 16:37:56 CET 2021

Liam

In my point of view, it boils down the basic question whether you define a "hypervisor" being an emulator or not __

br
Jörg

Am 11.01.21, 16:29 schrieb "Oberon im Auftrag von Liam Proven" <oberon-bounces at lists.inf.ethz.ch im Auftrag von lproven at gmail.com>:

    On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 at 16:13, Joerg <joerg.straube at iaeth.ch> wrote:

    > Today, this is also called "virtualization" with a HostOS and a GuestOS (=Oberon System)

    Not the same thing.

    Full-system virtualisation, that is a hypervisor such as KVM, Xen,
    VMware or VirtualBox, basically means an emulator that emulates an
    entire computer _on the same computer architecture_.

    This is a built-in feature of SPARC, IBM POWER etc. It was not a
    feature of x86 until Intel added its VT feature (and AMD its AMD-V)
    around 2005-2006. This adds a "ring -1" underneath Ring 0, the
    "supervisor mode" of traditional x86.

    Linux' KVM uses the VT/AMD-D feature and cannot work without it.
    Similarly, Microsoft's Hyper-V does the same.

    But Hyper-V evolved from a program called Virtual PC, which is still a
    free download from MS:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3702

    MS acquired Virtual PC when it acquired Mac vendor Connectix.
    VirtualPC originated as a Mac software emulator allowing you to run PC
    OSes as programs under Classic MacOS on PowerPC processors.

    In other words, a hypervisor is just a special case of an emulator: it
    emulates a platform _on the same platform_.

    But inside a hypervisor's VM, you have a whole empty PC complete with
    emulated BIOS, emulated disks, emulated RAM, emulated graphics card,
    emulated network interface, etc.

    Oberon runs like this, sure. But so can any PC OS.

    Oberon _also_ runs as a program on top of other OSes. For example here
    is a Mac version:
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/oberon-core/id1057155516?mt=12

    This is an emulator, not a VM. It emulates a RISC5 computer, in a
    resizable window.

    It also runs _as a program_ on top of Windows, Linux and macOS.
    Downloads are here:
    https://github.com/metacore/A2OS

    This does not use a hypervisor or a VM. This is the OS built as a
    program to run on top of another OS.

    A closer comparison is User Mode Linux on top of another Linux distro:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User-mode_Linux

    Or CoLinux on Windows:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperative_Linux

    To the host OS, these are not VMs, they are programs. But the
    "program" is an OS and to apps inside the program, they are running on
    their own system, not on the host OS.

    So I am not saying you are _wrong_ -- I am saying _both_ are true.
    There is a version for hypervisors, that runs in a VM, *and* there are
    native versions that run on Windows, Linux and macOS. They are
    different entities. The hosted versions can't run in a VM, and the
    bare-metal version will not execute under another OS.

    Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com