[Oberon] early ports of Oberon

Paul Reed paulreed at paddedcell.com
Mon Jan 11 17:18:30 CET 2021

Hi Joerg,

I agree with Liam, definitely not the same thing.

The initial ports of Oberon to other operating systems would not today
commonly be classed as virtualisation; they implemented Oberon as an
application, and had to contend in various ways with different
underlying I/O and filesystem semantics in ad-hoc ways. This could be
done because Oberon as an operating system is so simple, it wasn't
difficult to convert it to an application.

So sure, it's "virtualisation" in some wider sense, but not
virtualisation as we know it, Jim. :)

Furthermore, a hypervisor may emulate, but it is not an emulator...

Cheers,
Paul