[Oberon] Re (2): V4, 64 bit version;

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Fri Jan 15 23:37:35 CET 2021

From:	Charles Perkins <chuck at kuracali.com>
Date:	Fri, 15 Jan 2021 13:17:03 -0800
> On review of the source, I see that LONGREAL is currently aliased to REAL
> in ORB, suggesting that REAL may stay 32-bit and LONGREAL would be 64-bit.
> Would the same be done for SET, introducing LONGSET perhaps?

>From the new Project Oberon book I had the impression that the gain of
one type rather than two outweighed the loss of storing some numbers
in capacities larger than necessary.

If so, wouldn't any machine have only REAL, according to hardware
capability, whether 32 bits or 64 bits or 128 bits?

What are the requirements motivating interest in 64 bits?  Numerical
modeling?

Thanks,                     ... P. L.

--
Tel: +1 604 670 0140            Bcc: peter at easthope. ca