[Oberon] List of extensions for Project Oberon compiler

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Mon Feb 1 05:24:20 CET 2021

Good point. There is one undocumented extension that I do find useful in
low-level device drivers for example. That is the use of a type declared as
ARRAY n OF BYTE as a formal parameter that maps onto actual parameters with
a range of data types. It is similar to the use of ARRAY OF SYSTEM.BYTE in
Oberon for the NS32000 but it is slightly safer in that it is restricted to
data types with the same number of bytes. However, I can understand it not
being included in the language Report as it is effectively a non-SYSTEM
loophole which undermines type safety.

Similar effectiveness could be achieved without altering the language by
allowing SYSTEM.VAL to apply to non-scalar data types. The use of SYSTEM.VAL
would highlight that it is non-portable. I would be interested to hear any
feedback on this proposal.

e.g.

TYPE
  Word = ARRAY 4 OF BYTE;

VAR
  i: INTEGER; b0, b1, b2, b3: BYTE; w: WORD;
  w := SYSTEM.VAL(Word, i);
  b2 := w[2];

Regards,
Chris Burrows