[Oberon] Re (2): Re (2): Starting V4.

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Fri Feb 5 19:24:49 CET 2021

From:	=?utf-8?Q?J=C3=B6rg?= <joerg.straube at iaeth.ch>
Date:	Fri, 5 Feb 2021 10:10:31 +0100
> Unfortunately, PO2013 does not foresee an „automation“ hook in
> the code.

Understood.  PO has carefully chosen capabilities and limitations.
N.W. takes his computers seriously!

In recent months I've been learning a little about V4.  After years
using ETH Oberon, comparison with V4 is almost inescapable.

> Date:	Fri, 5 Feb 2021 10:42:05 +0100
> I had a look at the code of System.Mod in Linux V4 1.7.02. There, I
> find an automation/configuration hook in OpenViewers: It tries to load
> the module „Configuration“. It is expected that the module body
> does all things you want to automate/configure additionally during
> startup.
>
> If the module Configuration is not found, the text file System.Tool is
> opened instead.

Good, thanks.  Now I can stop wondering about more complexity in that
direction. Eventually might improve
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon/V4#System_Configuration .

For sake of interest, more indulgence in comparison.  =8~)  ...

InitCommands is only one section in Oberon.Text.  By adjusting and
recompiling a few modules, InitCommands can be omitted.

NetSystem is another section that most users will engage.  I
understand that network configuration can be compiled in.  The
tradeoff is three steps to change configuration (edit, compile, test)
versus  two steps (edit, test) with Oberon.Text.  I accept that you
might prefer compilation.  Also that Pieter Muller might prefer
Oberon.Text.  As with InitCommands, network configuration could be
compiled with the NetSystem section of Oberon.Text omitted or ignored.

I'm no authority on this tradeoff but have an impression that compiled
configuration is good for an embedded system.  Design and build an
embedded system and never change it.  There is no intention for a user
to monkey with a configuration file and cause unexpected difficulties.

In a workstation or a high performance data acquisitor/processor as
Wojtek visualizes, frequent adjustments of configuration might be
necessary.  Then text (or Text) based configuration is convenient.

In any case, clear documentation tends to be worthwhile.

Regards,                             ... P. L.

--
Tel: +1 604 670 0140            Bcc: peter at easthope. ca