[Oberon] RISC5: memory instructions and flags

Hellwig Geisse hellwig.geisse at mni.thm.de
Sat Feb 6 15:35:47 CET 2021

Hi Paul,

thanks for your answer.

On Sa, 2021-02-06 at 13:53 +0000, Paul Reed wrote:

> Sorry that this has caused you trouble.

No trouble at all - only an interesting morning... :-)
I'm happy that the error messages coming from my memory test
program didn't have anything to do with a dysfunctional SDRAM
controller, but were caused by details of setting the flags.

> There's another gotcha here,
> that although the "co-optimised" version of the Verilog/Lola and the
> compiler allow the shorter code sequence when testing the result of a
> load, it doesn't work in all branch cases, because the C and V flags are
> *not* set.

It seems questionable anyway how carry and overflow flags
should be set on a load, as there is no arithmetic involved.

Hellwig