[Oberon] How to use SYSTEM.VAL safely?

Jeff Maggio jmaggio14 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 17:16:34 CEST 2021

Hi All!

I'm new to the world of RISC5 and Oberon

I'm curious about the dangers of using SYSTEM.VAL for casting or type
conversion. I need to do bitwise operations on Integers and was planning on
converting them to SETs using SYSTEM.VAL. However, this webpage
<https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon/ETH_Oberon/faqlang#bitwise> warns me
to avoid using SYSTEM.VAL because it can break garbage collection, but I
wasn't able to find any of Wirth's own documentation about it. I'm assuming
that means that there is a potential for a memory leak if not used properly?

How can I make sure I'm using SYSTEM.VAL safely? Is the following example
"safe"?

    PROCEDURE SetVal*(val : INTEGER);