[Oberon] obnc can't find obnc-compile

Hellwig Geisse hellwig.geisse at mni.thm.de
Sun Apr 11 16:54:30 CEST 2021

Duke,

On So, 2021-04-11 at 08:33 -0600, Duke Normandin wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Apr 2021 16:04:48 +0200
> August Karlstrom <fusionfile at gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you built and installed OBNC according to the instructions in
> > the README file? With the standard installation both obnc and
> > obnc-compile should go in /usr/local/bin.
> I installed obnc in a /bin directory in $HOME and set the $PATH accordingly.
>
> Like I said, I can run obnc AND obnc-compile from the CLI. However, obnc does not seem to be able
> to find obnc-compile even if $PATH is set.

Yes, this could be deduced from your original post:
  --> obnc tempConvert.obn
  sh: 1: /usr/local/bin/obnc-compile: not found
  obnc: build process failed

My guess: obnc uses the library function "system"
(or something equivalent) to execute the command
"obnc-compile" by the shell. The shell uses the
path /usr/local/bin without respecting the $PATH
environment variable.

My recommendation: do exactly as August suggested
and put obnc and obnc-compile in /usr/local/bin.
The alternative (finding and correcting the place
where the path is hard-coded) is more difficult.

Hellwig