[Oberon] INC(i) vs i := i + 1

Joerg joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Wed May 5 10:29:48 CEST 2021

Jeff

Just as an example, find below the output of the RISC5 compiler:

The statements “i := i+1;” and “INC(i);” generate exactly the same output, namely

  LDW R0 SP 4      load the local variable “i” (is at position 4 on the stack)

  ADD R0 R0 1      add 1

  STW R0 SP 4      store register to local variable

The statement “a[n] := a[n] + 1;” generates

  ; address of a[n] for LHS

  LDW R0 SP 8        load “n” (at position 8 on stack)

  SUB R1 R0 30      check array limit (in my case ARRAY 30 OF INTEGER)

  BLHI MT                trap if outside
  LSL R0 R0 2           multiply “n” with size of INTEGER
  ADD R0 SP R0       add frame pointer

  ; address a[n] for RHS

  LDW R1 SP 8        load “n” (at position 8 on stack)

  SUB R2 R1 30       compare with upper limit of array

  BLHI MT                trap if outside
  LSL R1 R1 2           multiply “n” with size of INTEGER
  ADD R1 SP R1       add frame pointer

  ; add and store

  LDW R1 R1 12      12 is offset of the array “a”

  ADD R1 R1 1

  STW R1 R0 12

An optimizing compiler could detect, that ADR(a[n]) is already in R0 and could skip the second calculation for R1. But NW’s compiler does not do that.

In contrast “INC(a[n]);” is a little shorter and hence faster, as you have to calculate the address only once

  ; address of a[n]

  LDW R0 SP 8

  SUB R1 R0 30

  BLHI MT