[Oberon] Expression to the left of the variable

Joerg joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Fri May 7 14:48:27 CEST 2021

I see it the same. But I would prefer -> iso =:
Jörg

Am 07.05.21, 14:44 schrieb "Oberon im Auftrag von Diego Sardina" <oberon-bounces at lists.inf.ethz.ch im Auftrag von dsar at eml.cc>:

    On Thu, May 6, 2021, at 3:57 AM, eas lab wrote:
    > it's what you get used to.
    > For decades I was comfortable with Pascal syntax.
    > Now it looks klunky & I want syntax-coloring to distinguish it's
    >  function/arguments/result.
    > IMO `poplog` has the clearest syntax:
    >   "a+1->b"  is better than "b :=a+1"

    Yes, older languages had this syntax.

    This is also mentioned in Wirth's compiler book but left as exercise.
    I would like to discuss it with you (all) since I wasn't sure of my answers.

    ----
    10.2. Had the assignment statement in Oberon been defined in a form where the assigned expression occurs to the left of the variable, that is for example by the form  e =: v, would compilation of assignments be simpler in any way?

    10.3. Consider the introduction of a multiple assignment in Oberon of the form e =: x0 =: x1 =:  ...  =: xn. Implement it. Does the definition of its semantics present any problems?
    ----

    My answer for the first is that it simplifies the code generation for the assignment since it follows the flow and in the second I don't see any problems in its semantics.
    In general I see only advantages in both for lexing, parsing and code generation.

    What are your answers?

    --
    Diego Sardina