[Oberon] Question about Oakwood guidelines and design choices

Robert Doiel rsdoiel at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 20:40:07 CEST 2021

Good Morning,

I was looking at the Oakwood Guidelines this morning trying to sort out
why an implementation of `Out.Real()` might only accept a single
parameter versus two (like `Out.Int()` ). The Oakwood guidelines I am
reading in PDF form are from Oct. 20, 1995 (URL
https://www.math.bas.bg/bantchev/place/oberon/oakwood-guidelines.pdf
downloaded on 2021-06-06) and indicate that two parameters are expected.

Next I looked at how the Oxford compiler implemented Out and saw that it
was a very thin wrapper on Files using STDOUT instead of a user supplied
file handle.  That makes complete sense to me, at least from a POSIX
point of view.  But Files WriteReal() in Oakwood on;y has one
parameter.  Does anyone know the history behind why Oakwood as to why
Out.Real() and Files.WriteReal() would be different?

I noticed in Native Oberon 2.3.6 that Files.WriteReal() does have two
parameters. Just curious to know the story behind the evolution from
1995 to Native Oberon 2.3.6.

All the best,

Robert Doiel