[Oberon] [EXT] Re: Question about Oakwood guidelines and design choices

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Mon Jun 7 19:21:05 CEST 2021

Robert:

thank you for the great thread. Since you said Text, please be aware that there are multiple Text flavors out there.

1) The original Oberon System Text.
2) FPGA Oberon Text, which may or may not be the same as (1). I hope it is the same, but I am not sure.
3) ETH V4 System, later renamed Linz V4 Oberon. This Text supports live Elements.
4) ETH System 3 Text, which supports live Gadgets. If I am not mistaken, Gadgets and Elements are not compatible.
5) More Text formats may be out there, but I am not sure.

 It would help if the community moved towards one universal Text. I am pondering this question because I would like to port some V4 Elements to FPGA Oberon. Elements need the support of the Text format.

Ideally, all 1+2+3 could be merged into one Text format. The first three should be doable in a couple megs. I am afraid that (4+Gadgets) is unlikely to fit into a small memory footprint.

My biggest dream is that Extended Oberon would adopt 1+2+3 and then just start using it from the next official release. This would clear the waters from thinking "what will happen to my effort after the next major release". Knowing the developer's  roadmap would help with making strategic decisions like the one concerning text format, whether or not it is safe to put work into Elements, etc.

Thanks,