[Oberon] Oberon Text and new systems; was Re (n): Question about Oakwood guidelines and design choices

Michael Schierl schierlm at gmx.de
Tue Jun 8 23:02:57 CEST 2021

Hello Peter,

Am 08.06.2021 um 18:24 schrieb peter at easthope.ca:

> Should a universal Oberon Text type be derived from V4, ETH Oberon or
> V5?  Also acknowledge that HTML5 is far more ubiquitous than any
> Oberon Text type.  Hypothetically an Oberon system can be built with
> plain ASCII text and HTML5 and no Oberon Text. Discussion by the
> knowledgeale and experienced people can help.

The most complex application on most "smaller" OSes today is the Web
browser. And even when they are several megabytes large, they cannot
adequately parse what "HTML5" has become today (even if you exclude
JavaScript).

With the demise of the old edgehtml engine (and deprecation of old IE
Trident and Opera Presto engine) there are effectively only two
feature-complete rendering engines for HTML5 left (Gecko used by Mozilla
Firefox, and Webkit/Chromium/Blink used by the others). And the size of
their (uncompressed) sources is gigantic.

So, I would not try to provide any (badly compatible) HTML5 support to a
system like Oberon which tries to be simple and tries to remove what can
be removed.

By the way, V5 text does not have vertical offsets, so no
subscripts/superscripts.

Regards,

Michael