[Oberon] Oberon Text and new systems; was Re (n): Question about Oakwood guidelines and design choices

Michael Schierl schierlm at gmx.de
Wed Jun 9 22:44:03 CEST 2021

Hello Liam,

Am 09.06.2021 um 18:17 schrieb Liam Proven:
> well as others. It supports HTML 4, CSS 2

If a browser supports HTML4 and/or CSS2, I would not call it HTML5.

> HTML5 is not the big problem, IMHO. Javascript is the big problem.

While JS is also a big problem, there are *many* HTML5 features that can
be used without scripting and while some of them may be simple to
implement, implementing *all* of them will massively bloat the browser.

I'm talking about embedded media/video, inline SVG, CSS3 (for both HTML
and SVG), shadow DOM (sometimes also called element namespaces), CSS
animations, CSS variables, CSS transforms, new input element types
(color, slider, multifile upload, camera upload), CSS media/darktheme
detection, CSS blending modes.

All of them can be used without relying on scripting, and modern
websites often do. And probably I forgot a dozen or more others.

Regards,

Michael