[Oberon] A new dialect? Oberon+ (OBX)

Charles Perkins chuck at kuracali.com
Fri Jul 16 22:12:29 CEST 2021

I found the strategy for generics interesting and approachable with the
specialization occurring over a module as a whole and the selection
occurring on module import.

If generic modules are not compiled on their own but are only compiled
(with an .rsc file generated just for that concrete type) when the module
that imports it is compiled, then the combinatorial explosion of generated
code can be limited to just those types actually used. If the generic
module was already coerced to be compiled for that type by a different
importing module (or the same one previously,) and the .smb files are
compatible then it doesn't have to be compiled again.

It seems to me to be in the spirit of Oberon -- as simple as possible but
no simpler.

Chuck