[Oberon] Re (2): Copy or reinstall A2?

Jörg joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Wed Jul 21 19:08:04 CEST 2021

Liam

I fully agree that the word "ISO image" may be confusing.

Generally an "image" is more or less a 1:1 copy of the source medium.
Originally, the source medium was a CD/DVD. Hence the filesystem was fixed to ISO9600.
Later the source medium could also be hard disk, and it was "just" a 1:1 copy of a HD. The filesystem is "in most cases" NOT ISO9660 but ext1, NTFS, HFS+, OberonFS or so...

An important role in an "ISO image" is the MBR, the first sector of the image:
- the MBR MAY contain an optional bootloader. The bootloader decides whether the image is bootable or not.
- the MBR holds the partition table. The partition table store info on the filesystems in use per partition.

br
Jörg