[Oberon] [EXT] Re: A new dialect? Oberon+ (OBX)

Charles Perkins chuck at kuracali.com
Thu Jul 29 19:51:59 CEST 2021

Historically I see a number of derivatives of Oberon referencing Oberon in
their name

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon#/media/File:Oberon_genealogy.svg

Oberon-2 from Wirth and Mössenböck but also Object Oberon and Active Oberon
extend the language with additional concepts.

I imagine it should be clear that a derivative language includes changes
from the original language and those changes can be bad. Or good!

I understand the reluctance to grant legitimacy to changes not endorsed by
Professor Wirth himself. In addition, I believe that historically there has
been an aversion to permit profit being made from the name "Oberon" in the
context of computer languages and that has induced some name changes. I
could be wrong about that though, not knowing any of the details.

I would be one of those people introducing an Oberon-<something>  as there
are some concepts that I think map simply on to the clean substrate of
Oberon. I do appreciate that, even if the consensus is that I can't call it
Oberon-<something> I can still use the strong foundation of source code
Wirth and Gutknecht have open-sourced.

It would be nice to learn that Oberon language extensions I wanted to share
with others could be called Oberon-<something> when the substrate language
is still Oberon.

Best Regards,
Chuck