[Oberon] [EXT] My "Building Your Own Tools" Papers

Chris Burrows cfbsoftware at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 13:35:19 CEST 2021

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 8:28 PM Paul Reed <paulreed at paddedcell.com> wrote:

> On 2021-08-18 11:52, Treutwein Bernhard wrote:
> > Apparently Hanspeter Mössenböck did successfully re-negotiate the
> > copyright
> > of the English version of his book "Object-Oriented Programming in
> > Oberon-2"
> > (see: https://ssw.jku.at/Research/Books/ and scroll down or search for
> > its
> > ISBN 3-540-60062-0).
>
> Hi Bernhard,
>
> I think the copyright agreement definitely had something about if the
> book goes out of print, so maybe that's what happened here.
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

Your recollection is correct. When I met Hanspeter at the Oberon day
in 2011 I mentioned that I was disappointed. that his book was no
longer available. Some time later he wrote to me saying:

> I finally got hold of somebody at Springer-Verlag. They gave me the
> permission to make my Oberon-2 book available as PDF because it is out
> of print and will not be reprinted.

Presumably Springer must have had a change of heart since then as it
is now back in print. Better download a copy quickly before they
change their minds ;-)

Regards,
Chris