[SCION] Introductions and a question about SCION python libraries

Chris Adams chris at thegreenwebfoundation.org
Sun Jan 24 17:46:41 CET 2021

Hi there,

I found out about SCION last week after being introduced to Adrian Perrig and Claude Hahni, and while it’s taking me a while to understand the differences to the regular old internet, I’m finding it fascinating. I work as part of the Green Web Foundation, and my interests with SCION are largely down to the ability to choose multiple paths for requests, and figuring out the carbon intensity of sending data along each hop, to allow clients like browsers and so on to take this into account when sending requests over the internet.

If this is the place to talk about that, I’d be happy to.

But first of all, I think I need some help with a question about the recorded talk at the link below that I saw on the FOSDEM YouTube channel, called SCION Future internet that you can use today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtfXrLmOgqY <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtfXrLmOgqY>

Around the 8:30 mark, you can see some python pseudo code, showing how you might import a scion module in python, initialise it, get a series of possible routes, then choose a route to send data along to the host you’re intending to connect to. I’ve written the code into gist,  to avoid this email getting too messy.

https://gist.github.com/mrchrisadams/498411fe39802a800f828b91afd7506d <https://gist.github.com/mrchrisadams/498411fe39802a800f828b91afd7506d>

Sample code for sending requests to a host

Where would I find some more sample python code like this? I’m trying to figure out what connecting my personal laptop, phone or server to a destination over SCION would look like, and in particular, I’m trying to understand how it would look compared to using a common HTTP client in python like requests <https://2.python-requests.org/en/master/> or httpx <https://www.python-httpx.org/>.

I’m aware of the scion apps repo and bat, the CURL like tool written in go, listed at the link below:

https://github.com/netsec-ethz/scion-apps/ <https://github.com/netsec-ethz/scion-apps/>

Where should I be looking to start experimenting with SCION if my main programming language is python?

I’ve had a look on GitHub search, for code like the kind I saw in the FOSDEM slides without much luck, and well… the talk did say get in touch :)

Thanks

Chris