[Barrelfish-users] sosp paper

Christopher Hogan flipityskipit at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 2 14:08:57 MEST 2009

I was just reading the SOSP paper and I noticed in section 5.5 the comment "In particular, this evaluation does not address complex application workloads".

The first thing that came to mind was why don't they just port the Squeak VM to Barrelfish.  Though I have not tried it myself, apparently the windows and linux ports only took a few weeks to have a working system.  After that you would have all sorts of applications available such as web servers or possibly 3D multi-user online applications (i.e. Croquet) that could be used for workload testing.

http://www.squeak.org/

Chris Hogan