[Barrelfish-users] Which multicore platform for investigating Barrelfish.

Timothy Roscoe troscoe at inf.ethz.ch
Thu Nov 4 17:59:02 MET 2010

Hi Edmund,

You're right, the Tyan n6650w is EOL.  It also has some very strange
properties due to the unconventional HT interconnect topology, but
that's another story.

We use a variety of machines at ETHZ and Microsoft, with both AMD (Magny
Cours, Shanghai, Instanbul, Barcelona) and Intel (Nehalem and Nehalem-EX
- Beckton).  By and large, they work.

However, the public version of Barrelfish on the web site is much less
likely to work with these newer machines - we've fixed a lot of ACPI
bugs and the like in the last year or so.  If you can wait a few weeks,
we hope to do another full Barrelfish release (followed by much more
frequent releases than we've done so far).  This will be more complete,
and have more hardware support than the old version currently on the web
site.

Hope this helps,

  -- Timothy Roscoe