[Barrelfish-users] CC variable

Timothy Roscoe troscoe at inf.ethz.ch
Fri Aug 26 11:07:17 CEST 2011

Hi Georgios,

We made an early decision to bury the binding of the C compiler fairly
deep down in Hake's architecture abstractions.  If there really is a
pressing need to specify the C compiler differently for different
modules in the same build architecture, we would need to add the
compiler name to the (ever-expanding) Opts record.  This is doable, but
it's a bit of work.

One alternative is to explicitly compile the C files by writing
low-level Hake combinators in your Hakefile.  Hake won't compile (or
calculate dependencies for) any C files which you don't explicitly hand
it, so you can treat any C file specially if you're prepared to forego
the convenience of the "build library" or "build application" functions.
  This might be the easiest way forward for a small module (how big is
it?).

This does require a bit more understanding of how Hake works, but most
of what you need should be in the Technical Note.

Hope this helps a bit...

  -- Mothy