[Barrelfish-users] Flux control in Barrelfish

Baumann Andrew andrewb at inf.ethz.ch
Tue Dec 20 19:44:03 CET 2011

Hi Zeus,

The first answer I would give is to make sure you handle the incoming messages on core A, but I understand that you may not have control over this.

It sounds like you've run into the problem that the two halves of a UMP channel are not independent: you cannot keep sending messages only in one direction without handling messages in the reverse direction, because the ACKs get piggy-backed on messages in the same channel. This is a nice optimisation for many use-cases, but it's unfortunate that it gets exposed to the user in this way, and it should really be fixed in the UMP implementation. The workaround THC currently uses is to have two underlying channels for each connection: one for each direction. This isolates sending and receiving and gives you true independent flow control, at the expense of some resource overhead for the extra channel.

BTW, Note that using more threads doesn't change anything: the queuing problem is on the channel structure itself.

Cheers,
Andrew