[Barrelfish-users] compilation error in the latest release

Waqaas Munawar munawar at ira.uka.de
Thu Mar 3 15:19:59 CET 2011

Thanks Simon,
These patches work.
For what its worth, here are the steps that i followed to get the
barrelfish running in qemu.

1. Downloaded ubuntu-10.04.2-desktop-i386.iso
2. Made a VMware virtual machine out of this.
3. updated it (sudo apt-get upate and applied the updates)
4. edited /etc/apt/source.list and replaced all instances of "lucid"
with "natty" and then updated (sudo apt-get update)
5. installed libghc-ghc6-paths-dev (which should ideally pull ghc6
alongwith)
6. reverted /etc/apt/source.list by replacing all instances of "natty"
with "lucid" and update (sudo apt-get update)
7. installed zlib1g-dev (sudo apt-get install zlib1g-dev)
8. installed cabal (sudo apt-get install cabal-install)
9. update cabal ("cabal update", followed by "cabal install cabal-install")
10. installed qemu (sudo apt-get install qemu)
11. followed the README in barrelfish/usr/splash2/ with new patches
12. then followed the README in barrelfish/
DONE.

the tools that I used were:
ghc  version 6.12.3
GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.20.1-system.20100303
gcc (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5) 4.4.3

The size of the VMimage is 3.9GB. Perhaps some bytes can be saved by
compression but we will certainly not be able to host it. Is anyone else
interested in doing that ?

BRs,
wakas

--
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Institute for Process Control, Automation and Robotics (IPR)

Waqaas Munawar, M.Sc.
Engler-Bunte-Ring 8
Building 40.28
76131 Karlsruhe, Germany

Phone: +49 721 608-46694
Fax: +49 721 608-47141
Email: waqaas.munawar?kit.edu <mailto:waqaas.munawar at kit.edu>
Web: http://mta.ipr.kit.edu

KIT -- University of the State of Baden-Wuerttemberg and
National Research Center of the Helmholtz Association