[Barrelfish-users] Question about message passing

Zeus Gómez Marmolejo zeus.gomez at bsc.es
Mon Sep 5 21:20:03 CEST 2011

Hi,

I have a question regarding message passing using the UMP backend.

I understand that inside a message handler that has been called via the
event_dispatch() you cannot block in case the transmit queue is full. So you
cannot call event_dispatch() again, the only way is to register a callback
when the message is sent...

So the problem is that I'm a bit stuck, as I cannot return an error to the
user. The message has to be sent anyway. And of course, saving the message
in a temporary buffer, copying all arguments back to the buffer and using
the callback to copy them again for sending is not practical as the
performance drops dramatically.

Is there any way that I can solve this?

Many thanks,

--