[Barrelfish-users] Insight on Memory Management

Daniel Röhrig daniel.roehrig at mailbox.tu-berlin.de
Wed Aug 22 10:10:52 CEST 2012

Hey guys,

we are almost done porting barrelfish to our own arm board (portuxg20).
Well at least virtually. We are still using our customized Qemu build
for that. The Problem is, that we only have 128MB RAM. In Qemu we can
double that amount to 256 without any problems but on our real hardware
that is not so easy. What we would like to know is how much memory do we
really need? If we give Qemu 256MB everything is fine. 257MB: Still
fine. 255MB: Error! 128MB: Different error, but still completing the
memory test. Can you give us some insight about how barrelfish allocates
it's memory? And is it possible to run it with less than 256MB?

 From what we've seem, we can assume that whatever memory there is on
the board, barrelfish takes 56MB for ... something, and then another
64MB for ... something else. These values seem to be hardcoded but we
don't know where. Any kind of help would be really appreciated.

Regards,
Daniel