[Barrelfish-users] Problems booting Barrelfish on Qemu

Samuel Hitz samuel.hitz at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 17:00:50 CET 2012

Hi,

I've never loaded that module in the first place, since it was mentioned,
that Barrelfish won't work with kvm.
I'll describe what I did in order to boot Barrelfish on Qemu, maybe someone
can see a flaw in the process or a possible source of error.

1. cloned the public mercurial repo
2. generated the makefile with hake for x86_64 (I had to apply the Main.hs
patch, because I used ghc v7.0.3 which isn't listed as supported but since
the build went through, I thought it would work anyway)
3. compiled the source using gcc 4.6.2
4. make sim to run barrelfish on qemu

uname -a gives the following:
Linux thinkpad 3.2.5-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Feb 7 08:34:36 CET 2012
x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Does someone see any source(s) of errors? Could it not work, because I use
a newer gcc/ghc version than in the guide?

Help is much appreciated.

cheers,

Sam