[Barrelfish-users] Corruption sending buffer

Zeus Gómez Marmolejo zeus.gomez at bsc.es
Mon Jan 16 20:38:35 CET 2012

Dear Barrelfish developers,

I believe that I've found a bug in the message passing interface when a
buffer is sent between two endpoints. I would like you to have a look at
this example I'm sending to you. You can copy it to the folder
"usr/tests/idctest" of the latest version of the public repository. It
should build correctly.

This is a very simple example: it has 2 cores, with one thread per core.
Only one core is sending a message to the other core. The message is a
simple buffer of 1024 unsigned integers where the first integer and the
last one is the same, it's incremented in each message sent. The message
handler on the receiver is just checking that the first and the last
integer of the buffer are the same.

The application keeps running until it finds that the two integers differ.
This means that the buffer has been sent incorrectly. I've tested this in
qemu and in a real machine and after a while the program aborts because of
a corrupt buffer. In both systems, the error happens before 2 minutes
approx.

Can you have a look at this example and check whether I'm doing something
wrong?

Many thanks!!

--
Zeus Gómez Marmolejo