[Barrelfish-users] Booting Barrelfish using TFTP - GRUB issues

Shawn Furrow sfurrow at vt.edu
Fri Jun 8 20:11:07 CEST 2012

So I am still having trouble booting Barrelfish over tftp using a pxe
server. I feel like I must be missing something in my understanding. My
current set up is as follows:

1. I have successfully built Barrelfish and ran 'make install' to create
the 'barrelfish directory with all of the binaries
2. I have successfully installed GRUB 0.97 with the patch for my e1000
network card
3. I set up a tftp server on another machine in my lab's network
4. I copied the generated 'barrelfish' directory into my /var/lib/tftpboot
directory for my tftp server
5. I created a menu.lst file and placed it in the /var/lib/tftpboot folder
alongside the 'barrelfish' directory (I have included this file below)
6. I started the tftp server (which I have tested and can successfully
transfer files to and from the /var/lib/tftpboot folder

When I startup the computer that I want to boot barrelfish on, I tell it to
boot from the network. Then, I get a DHCP...., then the PXE53-No boot
filename received.

I'm not sure what is going on. Does anyone know what I could be missing? I
keep seeing a lot of guides refer to specifying the boot file name in a
DHCP.conf file but I don't really know much about this. Here is my menu.lst
file:

/--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------/
timeout 0

# spawnd is used to control which cpus are booted
#
# "spawnd boot" will use the skb and pci to figure out and
#  boot all cores in the machine
#
# "spawnd boot bootapic-x86_64=1-5" will not use the skb and
# boot the list of cores passed as argument.
# The APIC id of the cores to boot should be specified.
# This list may not include the bsp core id.

title   Barrelfish
ifconfig --address=10.1.1.20 --server=10.1.1.21
root    (nd)/tftpboot/barrelfish
kernel /x86_64/sbin/elver loglevel=4
module /x86_64/sbin/cpu loglevel=4
module /x86_64/sbin/init

# Domains spawned by init
module /x86_64/sbin/mem_serv
module /x86_64/sbin/monitor

# Special boot time domains spawned by monitor
module /x86_64/sbin/ramfsd boot
module /x86_64/sbin/skb boot
modulenounzip /skb_ramfs.cpio.gz nospawn
module /x86_64/sbin/kaluga boot
module /x86_64/sbin/acpi boot
module /x86_64/sbin/spawnd boot
#bootapic-x86_64=1-15