[Barrelfish-users] Tulip driver

Timothy Roscoe troscoe at inf.ethz.ch
Sat Jun 30 13:26:14 CEST 2012

Hi Patrik,

Paul Barham wrote the Tulip driver a long time ago, since that was the
network adaptor supported by Hyper-V.  Since we last used it, there
have been two major changes to Barrelfish which make the driver
somewhat out-of-date:

 1) The interface between network drivers and the network stack has
    changed (or, more accurately, has now been defined :-).  The RTL
    and e1000 drivers are written to this new interface, and so (apart
    from the documentation) these would be a good place to start
    looking for information (and, as ever, feel free to ask on this
    list).

 2) The API to the Mackerel-generated code to access hardware has
    changed, but the driver code has not been updated to reflect this.
    Changing this over is a mostly straightforward manual process (and
    results in much more portable code), but errors can creep in so
    it's a good idea to understand what's going on.

The good news is that Tulip is a very simple, clean design so it
shouldn't be too difficult (assuming you have access to a real or
virtual one!).

Doing a quick conversion of the Tulip driver Mackerel2 (at least to
the point where it compiles) has been a low-priority item on my to-do
list for some time - if I find the time over the next few days I might
have a go, but let me know if you start working on this so we don't
duplicate work.

 -- Mothy