[Barrelfish-users] Porting Barrelfish to a new architecture?

Tim Harris (RESEARCH) tharris at microsoft.com
Wed Mar 14 23:14:55 CET 2012

> Essentially we'd like a remote write operation that pushes some data close to a
> remote core, and an asynchronous notification that causes a lightweight
> exception/control transfer on the target. Previous versions of
> hardware-supported message passing have provided some version
> of the former, but neglected the latter.

BTW, we have a fairly detailed design for this now, plus implementation in M5.

I'll try to bring it up to date with the current tree, so it doesn't keep bit-rotting.

Hoping to get a write-up ready to submit to ASPLOS 2013 -- either just for use with message passing, or for accelerating a work-stealing system too (along the lines of the Stanford work from a few ASPLOS ago).

 --Tim