[Barrelfish-users] Porting Barrelfish to a new architecture?

Stefan Kästle stefan.kaestle at inf.ethz.ch
Thu Mar 15 12:11:08 CET 2012

>> * What further primitives would Barrelfish developers like to see on
>> future hardware
>>    platforms?
> Message-passing is the big one. We sketched out some ideas in this HotOS paper:
> http://www.barrelfish.org/gap_hotos11.pdf
>
> Essentially we'd like a remote write operation that pushes some data close to a remote core, and an asynchronous notification that causes a lightweight exception/control transfer on the target. Previous versions of hardware-supported message passing have provided some version of the former, but neglected the latter.

As a follow-up to the message passing discussion: I am currently
working on investigating the possible performance gains of message
passing support in hardware.

The goal is to provide hardware support for sending small messages
(i.e. cache-line size) on an app-to-app level (as opposed to
core-to-core). Send and receive operations could then be entirely in
user-level, without kernel invocations for mediation and expensive
interrupts.

I'd be glad to give more details on this if you are interested.

--
Stefan