[Barrelfish-users] newlib and accelerated math on Intel64?

Simon Peter speter at inf.ethz.ch
Sat Mar 31 21:21:49 CEST 2012

Hi,

Do we know whether newlib supports hardware accelerated math on the
Intel64 platform? When Barrelfish is compiled for x86_64, I can see that
math-using applications link software math routines.

In the newlib source directory (and also in the upstream distribution),
I can spot only an i387 directory for accelerated math. I assume this
only works on IA-32, but not on Intel64?

I recall that Sun's math library---which we used prior to newlib---had
Intel64 math acceleration, but we had to remove it due to licensing
constraints.

  -- Simon