[Barrelfish-users] Is Barrelfish tickless?

Kornilios Kourtis kornilios.kourtis at inf.ethz.ch
Thu May 31 09:18:03 CEST 2012

Hi Hakan,

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 02:43:57PM -0600, Hakan Akkan wrote:
> Just wondering if the Barrelfish kernel is tickless or not. Was this a
> design criteria? By tickless I mean if the kernel receives and
> services periodic timer interrupts on the CPUs where an application is
> supposed to run.

The barrelfish kernel (i.e., the CPU driver) is not tickless by default.
It will use periodic timer interrupts and, based on the scheduling
policy, decide whether to preempt the application or not.

There is a config option called oneshot_timer (which is disabled by
default) where the timer is programmed based on the time of the next
event -- e.g., the time when the scheduling timeslice of the running
application will expire.  Note, however, that this option has not been
heavily tested.

cheers,
Kornilios.

--