[Barrelfish-users] about port barrelfish on tilera platform

Andrew Baumann Andrew.Baumann at microsoft.com
Mon Nov 19 20:02:42 CET 2012

Hi Robert,

Start of day for userland is a pretty special environment on Barrelfish, and probably some of the toughest code to understand or port. The main thing you need to understand to make sense of it is the dispatch model: the crt0 code runs with the dispatcher "disabled", which means that it cannot take upcalls from the kernel. This in turn means that it cannot take a page fault, nor can it send or receive IDC messages, or use threading functionality such as mutexes. The normal printf() path uses IDC (e.g. to communicate with the serial driver), so it can't be called from this environment. Instead, the debugging facilities available boil down to a debugging system call sys_print(). You can see examples of this in lib/barrelfish/dispatcher.c for things like disp_assert_fail() etc. Also, beware that you have a very small stack at this point.

Once you get onto a thread (i.e. once threads_init_disabled() completes and uses disp_resume() to start the thread) then most of these restrictions go away, and normal printf() calls should work.

Hope this helps,
Andrew