[Barrelfish-users] (no subject)

Andrew Baumann Andrew.Baumann at microsoft.com
Wed Apr 3 06:25:48 CEST 2013

Hi,

This is a known problem, and a side-effect of the way memory is allocated when loading ELF images.

As you know, globalmsg is part of the data section. In Barrelfish, another domain (typically spawnd) loads the ELF image for a program, allocating memory and constructing its initial page tables. When the new domain starts running, it has page table mappings for its ELF image, but not the metadata or caps backing them which are required by the pmap lookup code. This is why the first lookup fails. The second lookup succeeds because the thread's stack is allocated dynamically within the context of the new domain, so the metadata is tracked correctly.

There is nothing (easy) you can do to fix this - it's just something we haven't implemented because nothing really needed it yet, but it has occurred to me that much of this would be cleaner if we did most of the ELF loading in the context of the new domain rather than its parent.

Perhaps we can help you find a workaround ... what are you trying to achieve at the high level?

Cheers,
Andrew