[Barrelfish-users] User Level IPI Support on SCC

Simon Peter speter at inf.ethz.ch
Mon Jan 7 00:16:09 CET 2013

Hi Jinghao,

There is no direct way on the SCC to send an IPI from user space. Be
aware that while each core of the SCC has a local APIC, it is only used
for receiving IPIs, not for sending them. Sending is done via the
configuration registers and, AFAIR, IPI broadcast is not supported by
the architecture.

You can probably add a debug system call to the CPU driver to directly
generate an IPI via the configuration registers, which you can then call
from user-space. The usr/bench/ipi_bench.c program is for x86
architectures only, though might be adaptable to the SCC.

Simon