[Barrelfish-users] regarding GCC compatibility

Georgios Varisteas yorgos at kth.se
Thu Jan 31 23:45:00 CET 2013

Hi,

For a long time now I've had the following error using gcc-4.5.4. It is obviously a gcc problem...

gcc [...] -c ../src/lib/barrelfish/dispatch.c
../src/lib/barrelfish/dispatch.c: In function ‘disp_trap’:
../src/lib/barrelfish/dispatch.c:477:20: internal compiler error: in memory_address_addr_space, at explow.c:504
Please submit a full bug report,
See <http://bugs.gentoo.org/> for instructions.

I then discovered that gcc-4.6.3 solves this issue.

However, compiling the basic modules with 4.6.3, results in a qemu boot loop. I'm using qemu-kvm-1.2.2 (not ubuntu). I haven't figured out which module is the problem but I can say it's part of lib/

I'm currently using a mix of modules by both versions and it works. It's troublesome though, especially considering the inability to configure CC in each Hakefile (greatly needed feature... ;) ).

So, is there a known 4.5+ gcc version that has none of these problems?

best regards,
Georgios