[Barrelfish-users] about remote communication on barrelfish

Xiaowen Wang xiaowenw at kth.se
Mon Mar 11 19:54:10 CET 2013

Hi, all,

I am porting Barrelfish onto TilePro architecture, now I am using TilePro's own network structure to implement core-to-core communication. But first of all I want to know some Barrelfish requirements about inter-core communication.

As far as I know, monitor is responsible for inter-core communication in Barrelfish, does that mean any remote message should pass through the local monitor to remote monitor and then is sent to according dispatcher by remote monitor?

For example, if one dispatcher on core 0 sends UMP message to another dispatcher on core 1, so this case is totally wrong? By the way, I am not using UMP, but in my case, I saw some dispatcher (not monitor) tries to send a remote message.

Best regards,
Xiaowen