[Barrelfish-users] VFS and Shared Memory

Dominic Hung domchdh at hku.hk
Thu Nov 6 08:05:22 CET 2014

Dear all,

I would like to ask when vfs is included in an application, will it be hard
wired to map to a particular physical memory section, like the shared
memory section (0x80000000 - 0x84000000) of the Intel SCC.

I have trouble after calling vfs_init in an application, it modified part
of a virtual memory range (I designated from address 0x500a0000) mapped to
the above named shared physical memory range. The first thing I encountered
is it wrote on offset 0x3002 on the mentioned virtual address range, so
effectively 0x500a3002. But I couldn't found which part of vfs, or some
even more underlying function that wrote on the address. I hope you can
shed me some light in to handling this.

I have tried to increase the virtual memory offset to say, 0x520a0000, but
the "written on" just followed and wrote on 0x520a3002. And the funny thing
is that, after vfs_init, when I tried to print what's on such "written on"
address, the printout is 0x500a0000 or 0x520a0000 on the later case, which
is the start address of the shared virtual memory range I decided.

Apart from vfs_init, (vfs_init is just the first occurence of such "written
on" "mischief"), as the program goes, with more opening of files,
read/writes. the memory in on/in nearby region changes too.

Again, I seriously need some help in this. I hope you might have a clue.
Thank you very much!

Cheers,
Dominic Hung

C H Dominic Hung, B.Eng. (CE) HK
M. Phil. Student, Dept. of CS., Faculty of Engg.

Mobile: +852-9819-9360
Email: domchdh at hku.hk