[Barrelfish-users] Dual boot Barrelfish with Ubuntu

Vinay Kumar ms.vinay.k at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 09:10:42 CEST 2015

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the info,

Here is the copy of the menu.lst under "/boot/grub" directory:

title Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, kernel 3.13.0-24-generic
uuid bfbce0a3-def3-4fcd-a4f1-7506a95a2892
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic
root=UUID=bfbce0a3-def3-4fcd-a4f1-7506a95a2892 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-24-generic

title Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, kernel 3.13.0-24-generic (recovery mode)
uuid bfbce0a3-def3-4fcd-a4f1-7506a95a2892
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic
root=UUID=bfbce0a3-def3-4fcd-a4f1-7506a95a2892 ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-24-generic

title Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, memtest86+
uuid bfbce0a3-def3-4fcd-a4f1-7506a95a2892
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin

title Barrelfish
rootnoverify (hd0,4)
chainloader +1

Here I added the last entry for Barrelfish
the (hd0,4) refers to the /dev/sda5 partition where the barrelfish files
are located

Below is the copy of the Barrelfish's menu.lst:

title Barrelfish
root (cd)
kernel /x86_64/sbin/elver loglevel=4
module /x86_64/sbin/cpu loglevel=4
module /x86_64/sbin/init

# Domains spawned by init
module /x86_64/sbin/mem_serv
module /x86_64/sbin/monitor

# Special boot time domains spawned by monitor
module  /x86_64/sbin/ramfsd boot
module  /x86_64/sbin/skb boot
modulenounzip /skb_ramfs.cpio.gz nospawn
module  /x86_64/sbin/kaluga boot
module  /x86_64/sbin/acpi boot
module  /x86_64/sbin/pci boot
module  /x86_64/sbin/spawnd boot
#bootapic-x86_64=1-15
module  /x86_64/sbin/startd boot
#module /x86_64/sbin/routing_setup boot

# Drivers
module /x86_64/sbin/pci auto
module /x86_64/sbin/ahcid auto

## For networking
## For qemu, enable rtl8029
module /x86_64/sbin/rtl8029 auto

## For real hardware, enable e1000n
module /x86_64/sbin/e1000n auto

## Other services needed for networking
module /x86_64/sbin/NGD_mng auto
module /x86_64/sbin/netd auto

# General user domains
module /x86_64/sbin/serial
module  /x86_64/sbin/fish
module /x86_64/sbin/angler serial0.terminal xterm

Regarding the location where I have installed the Barrelfish binaries,
The partiion is '/dev/sda5' and it is mounted in the directory '/home/new'
The ls command output in /home/new is:
boot skb_ramfs.cpio.gz sshd_ramfs.cpio.gz x86_64

The barrelfish's menu.lst is under '/home/new/boot/grub' dir
the barrelfish binaries are installed in '/home/new/x86_64/sbin' dir and
the binaries are all set with executable permission

Please let me know if I have missed something and if need more info
Thanks
Vinay