[Barrelfish-users] Pagesizes on Barrelfish

Stefan Kaestle stefan.kaestle at inf.ethz.ch
Fri Mar 27 11:27:15 CET 2015

Hi Vinay,

what implementation of 2M and 1G pages are you using? We have a
preliminary implementation available internally, but as far as I know we
did not release it yet.

With "output" I assume you mean performance. Performance of applications
with huge pages on NUMA machines is quite complex to understand.
Could you tell us precisely where you allocate memory. Is everything
allocated on the first NUMA node (which AFAIK is the default policy for
Barrelfish's malloc).

As for performance monitoring, we have support for performance counters.
I suggest you have a look at usr/tests/perfmontest/perfmon.c. You could
use this, for example to count TLB misses.

Other than that, you can always fall back to adding printfs.

Hope this helps,
  Stefan

[1] http://www.barrelfish.org/TN-008-Tracing.pdf

On 03/27/2015 08:11 AM, Vinay Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running a version of Graph500 benchmark on Barrelfish with
> different pagesizes 4KB, 2MB and 1GB.
>
> >/x86_64/sbin/seq-csr morecore=0x1000//4KB
> >/x86_64/sbin/seq-csr morecore=0x200000//2MB
> >/x86_64/sbin/seq-csr morecore=0x4000000//1GB
>
> The benchmark output for pagesizes 2MB and 1GB are found to be
> identical. It appears that the execution with 1GB pagesize is not
> working properly.
> The system used for this benchmarking is AMD Opteron™ 2300 Series
> processors with 32GB RAM, which supports large pagesizes of 1GB.
>
> But the output with 1GB pagesize are not changed and are identical to
> output with 2MB pagesize,
> somehow the 1GB pagesize is not being used and it might be getting
> back to the default pagesize, that is 2MB ( thats where the outputs
> are similar)
>
> Can you please provide some info why this might be happening
>
> Also I would like to know is there any profiling tool in Barrelfish
> that can be used to run along with apps on Barrelfish to try to
> understand the execution
>
> Please let me know if need more info
> Thanks
> Vinay