[Barrelfish-users] Vspace sharing and EMP

vlad nitu eu_nitu at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 29 16:34:24 CET 2015

Hi list,
     In the context of my PhD, I am studying Barrelfish OS inside the XEN hypervisor. I read the "Virtual Memory in a Multikernel" doc and all the documentation related to memory management in Barrelfish by I still have one point that is unclear. It is said that "Often dispatchers in a domain share (all or part of) their vspace" which means that we may have 2 threads on 2 different cores that share the same virtual memory space. My question is what happens if the 2 threads try to modify the same memory page in the same time, what are the synchronization mechanisms used to guarantee the consistency?    In another train of thoughts, I am also studying the IDC protocols. I found that there is some work in a Ethernet Message Passing protocol but I wasn't able to find the code on any repository. Does anyone knows how I could get into the possession of this code?  Best regards,
Nitu Vlad Tiberiu