[Barrelfish-users] Gem5

Simon Gerber simon.gerber at inf.ethz.ch
Tue Feb 2 18:46:51 CET 2016

Hi Mahdi,

On 02.02.2016 16:46, Mehdi Amiri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think, the instructions at Barrelfish ARM document and the wiki page regarding running Barrelfish on gem5, is outdated. Can you please inform, which version of gem5 is currently in use in ETH? Meanwhile, what is the primary platform for ARM development?

I've updated the instructions on the wiki regarding Barrelfish on ARMv7 GEM5. Note: I'm currently struggling on how exactly to compile the ancient commit of gem5 that we need (without having to update our gem5script) to run the image (installing g++-4.4 and running CXX=g++-4.4 scons build/ARM/gem5.fast seems promising). I'll update the wiki page once I've figured out a working combination.

> Regarding the pandaboard-es, does the panda build work with the latest development board (Rev B3)?

All our PandaBoards are PandaBoard-ES Rev B1 and we can't confirm that our build works on another HW revision. A quick google search shows that B3 has a different DRAM chip, which needs some changes to uboot (afaict) but not to OS software itself. As we're booting our boards over USB using https://github.com/simu/usbboot-omap4 this change should not affect us.

Hope this helps,
-- Simon